Cancer and Blood Diseases Institute at Cincinnati Children’s
When you or someone you love is diagnosed with a cancer or blood disease, finding the right care is the first and most important step. Our team of specialists offer personalized care for children, adolescents and young adults while creating the most comforting and relaxed environments possible. Backed by our cutting-edge research, we consistently rank amongst the top programs in the country.
In the hands of the expert cancer team at Cincinnati Children’s, proton therapy more precisely targets tumors and minimizes damage to healthy tissues around tumors. As a result, patients experience fewer short-term side effects and long-term complications. This is especially important for children, whose bodies are still growing and developing.
I’ve spent my entire career working with great teams of people who put their blood, sweat and tears into finding the best outcomes for kids with cancer. We strive daily to put ourselves out of business, with the ultimate goal of eradicating cancer…That’s why I’m excited about proton therapy.
John Perentesis, MD Director, Division of Oncology and Cancer ProgramsRead the blog post
Why Choose Cincinnati Children’s?
Cincinnati Children’s is one of the nation’s top-rated pediatric hospitals in the United States. Our new Proton Therapy Center was designed from the ground up with the needs of children and their families in mind. We offer:
- Pencil beam scanning, the most advanced proton therapy technology available. Proton radiation kills cancer cells but avoids healthy tissues and organs nearby.
- Specialization. Our cancer doctors specialize in treating specific types of cancers that affect children. Their deep knowledge and experience give patients an unparalleled level of care.
- Proton therapy experience. The Proton Therapy Center is new, but our team is not new to its advanced technology. In fact, our dedicated, experienced team is taking this technology to the next level, using dynamic new treatment approaches that improve outcomes for patients, even those with even the most difficult-to-treat tumors.
- Convenient access to other cancer-related services. The Proton Therapy Center is located on the hospital’s Liberty Campus, where patients have easy access to other cancer-related services.
- Fertility preservation services. Our specialists help families understand how cancer therapy might affect a patient’s ability to have children in the future, and what the fertility preservation options may be.
- School Intervention Program. We provide extensive services to help children with cancer maintain their academic skills and reintegrate into the classroom. Our school intervention specialists also help young adults pursue their academic and vocational goals.
- A commitment to long-term quality of life. The Cincinnati Children’s Cancer Survivorship Center provides specialized medical care and psychosocial support to childhood cancer survivors — continuously and without interruption through adulthood.
- Rehabilitation therapy. Cancer and cancer treatment take a toll on children’s growing bodies. Specialists at the hospital’s innovative Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit provide customized therapy based on each child’s specific needs and goals.
- Specialized care for adolescents and young adults. Cincinnati Children’s offers a dedicated program to meet the unique needs of adolescents and young adults with cancer.